i. “I am the Lord your God; thou shall not have strange gods before Me.”
– Do I truly love God, think well of him, talk to him regularly, treat him as a loving friend and father?
– Do I thank him for the good things in my life? Do I blame him when things go wrong?
– Do I sometimes give greater importance to things of this world: money, image, looks, clothes, popularity or selfish desire?
– Do I claim to have good values, but often bend or abandon them in order to fit in and be “part of the group”? Do I make fun of others who try to follow God?
– Have I tried to bypass God’s guidance in my life by going to psychics, tarot cards, mediums or fortune tellers? Have I engaged in occult practices, used Ouija boards, horoscopes, New Age, superstitions or been involved with Reiki?
– Do I associate with anti-Catholic groups such as the Freemasons?
ii. “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.”
– Do I show disrespect for God’s name by misusing it out of frustration or anger or look “tough” to others? Do I treat His name casually by saying, “Oh my God’ or ‘Jesus’ as exclamations?
– Do I hesitate to mention God’s name in appropriate situations in conversations with friends and family members?
– Do I curse or swear? Have I used bad language or jokes?
– Have I committed sacrilege by showing disrespect to the Church or holy objects such as the Crucifix or Rosary?
– How respectful am I to the Pope, bishops, priests and religious?
– Have I committed a sacrilege by going to Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin (without first going to Confession)? Do I fast one hour before Communion? Do I fast during Lent? Did I neglect my obligation to receive Holy Communion at least once a year during Easter time (the Easter duty)?
iii. “Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy.”
– Do I come to Church to celebrate the Eucharist on Sundays and Holy Days? Do I attend Mass only when it is convenient or when it will make me “feel good”?
– Do I participate in the Mass by praying and singing, do I pay close attention to the Word of God and open myself to God’s call to allow His Word to take effect in my life?
– Do I acknowledge the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist and am I careful to receive it with a clean conscience? Have I deliberately concealed anything in confession?
– Do I do unnecessary work on Sunday?
– To what extent do I give of my resources to help the Church or those ministries that I am called to support?
iv. “Honor your father and your mother.”
– Do I love, respect and obey my parents? Do I appreciate the many sacrifices they make for me?
– Is there anyone in my family that I need to forgive who has hurt me or not been there for me when I needed them?
– Do I help bring peace and happiness to my family, or am I disrespectful of others and a source of hurt and division for those who are closest to me?
– Do I help at home? How do I treat my brothers and sisters?
– Do I listen to my parents’ reasoning when they say “no” to me?
– Do I respect lawful authority, such as teachers and guardians?
– What kind of example do I give by how I honor or have honored my own parents? To what extent do I teach my own children the importance of faith and following the teachings of the Catholic Church? Do I show disrespect for those in authority? Have I taught my children moral values?
v. “You shall not kill.”
– Have I caused grievous bodily harm or death to anyone?
– Have I injured another person through carelessness or fighting?
– Do I treat myself with respect?
– Have I placed others or myself in danger because of irresponsible use of alcohol or drugs?
– Have I caused difficulties for others or myself because of their use?
– Did I drive recklessly, endangering others or myself?
– Have I had an abortion or encouraged others to do so?
– Have I forgiven those who have hurt me, or am I holding on to resentment or desire for revenge?
– Do I use my power of influence well, in order to oppose terrorism, war, oppression, abortion and injustice, or do I allow those evils to continue by my apathy and my silence?
– Have I been violent or abusive either in action or in speech?
– Do I share what I have with those in need? Do I support the life and mission of the Church by sharing my time and talents?
– Have I encouraged, or condoned sterilization, or had myself sterilized?
– Have I been a participant in or support euthanasia for those who are sick or elderly?
– Do I show contempt for my own body? Do I take care of my health, both physical and mental?
– Am I prejudiced against people because of their race, language, ethnicity, or religious background?
vi. “You shall not commit adultery.”
– Have I engaged in sexual activity outside of marriage?
– Have I been faithful to my marriage vows in thought and action?
– Have I used contraception or artificial birth control?
– Have I practiced masturbation?
– Have I entertained sexual fantasies? Do I read or view pornography?
– Do I treat members of the opposite sex with dignity and respect, or do I look at them as objects for my own use or pleasure?
– Have I engaged in homosexual activity?
– Do I practice modesty in the way that I dress?
vii. “You shall not steal.”
– Have I stolen what was not mine?
– Have I returned or made restitution for anything I have stolen?
– Do I waste time at work or school? Have I cheated on tests or homework?
– Do I gamble excessively, thereby denying the needs of others?
– Do I pay my debts promptly?
– Do I seek to share what I have with the poor?
– Do I cheat on my taxes, steal from my place of employment, or practice dishonesty in any of my personal or business dealings? Do I lie, cheat, or steal in anything I say or do?
– Have I borrowed something and not returned it?
– Do I use work materials for my personal use at home without permission of my employer?
– Have I been paid for work by my employer that I did not do?
viii. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.”
– Have I lied? Have I made the sins of others public?
– Have I engaged in gossip?
– Am I critical, negative, or uncharitable in my thoughts on others?
– Do I keep secret what should be kept confidential?
– Do I speak of others negatively behind their backs?
– Have I attempted to harm or ruin someone’s reputation? Do I spread rumors which may hurt others? Do I care if the rumors are true?
– Have I sworn an oath falsely?
– Do I love to spread bad news against my enemies?
ix. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.”
– Do I engage in conversation about sex in a casual or impure way that undermines the dignity and holiness of human sexuality?
– Do I pray for the grace to help me with temptation?
– Have I looked or lusted in my heart at someone else’s spouse?
– Do I flirt with the opposite sex inappropriately?
– Do I lust for what I do not have?
x. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.”
– Am I jealous of what other people have?
– Am I greedy or selfish? Do I share with others in need?
– Have I ever cheated anyone of their goods or services? Did I knowingly deceive someone in business or in my personal life?
– Have I committed fraud or shown disrespect or contempt for other people’s property, or have I done any type of vandalism?
– Do I let my material desires exceed my desire to please God or my family? Do I want the things of this world more than I desire obtaining virtue and spiritual blessings and grace?
– Do I trust that God will look after all of my material or spiritual needs?